Parents’ FAQ – Gifted & Talented
Success Ladder Academy (SLA) uses a comprehensive and innovative approach to learning that addresses students’ academic, learning, leadership and motivational needs. Each student has a Success Coach to integrate academic content, independent study skills, goal setting and motivation and leadership training to create an individualized learning program. Student progress is tracked and communicated to parents and schools. The overall goal is to create confident and competent learners and deliver instruction based on learning styles and levels of content mastery.
The State of NJ Administrative Code defines gifted & talented as: “Those students who possess or demonstrate high levels of ability in one or more content areas when compared to their chronological peers in the local school district and who require modification of their educational program if they are to achieve in accordance with their capacities.” While most people aren’t gifted, we should recognize and understand that we all have a tremendous stake in educating those who are.
- MY CHILD IS GIFTED & TALENTED AND GETS GOOD GRADES. WHY SHOULD HE/SHE ENROLL IN SUCCESS LADDER ACADEMY?Gifted & Talented students are a valuable resource. Mentoring and tutoring are not always provided during the regular school day. Outside opportunities are invaluable in promoting optimal instruction for advanced learners who are beyond the norm. Success Ladder Academy can create an individualized program that will take students beyond their current levels to match their ability, passion, and drive.
- HOW CAN A SUCCESS COACH HELP A GIFTED STUDENT?Gifted & Talented students are a valuable resource. Mentoring and tutoring are not always provided during the regular school day. Outside opportunities are invaluable in promoting optimal instruction for advanced learners who are beyond the norm. Success Ladder Academy can create an individualized program that will take students beyond their current levels to match their ability, passion, and drive.
- HOW CAN A SUCCESS COACH HELP A GIFTED STUDENT?Gifted & Talented students need outside stimulation and opportunities to reach their full potential. The Success Coach can assess students' academic skills using our diagnostic and analytical tools. Based on multiple assessments, an individualized program can be developed to enrich, accelerate and advance students' learning. Gifted children are unlikely to reach their full potential without adequate stimulation and a challenging curriculum. The Success Coach can provide meaningful learning experiences that go beyond the regular school program.
- WHAT WILL MY CHILD WORK ON WITH THE SUCCESS COACH?Based on multiple assessments, the Success Coach will develop an individualized program to provide learning opportunities tailored to students’ needs. As it relates to schoolwork, G & T students are known to display more ambition and effort than their peers, if they are actively engaged. Success Ladder Academy will take that engagement and move students to the "next steps" in their learning. The Success Coach will utilize students' strengths and aptitudes to develop a program that fits the gifted child.
- HOW WILL I KNOW IF MY GIFTED CHILD IS SUCCESSFUL WITH HIS OR HER SUCCESS COACHING PROGRAM?The Success Coach will track and monitor progress weekly. Communicating with parents will be a top priority. Based on assessment, student feedback and motivation the child's program can be adjusted to meet current and future needs. Challenging work will be offered and encouraged, as well as student accountability. The child will be taught the necessary organizational tools to succeed and responsibility for his or her own learning. Our assessments will track academic progress, enhanced by the acquisition of independent study skills, goal setting/motivation and leadership skills. Our individualized program goes beyond academic skills to address the whole student.
- CAN I SUGGEST INTERESTS OR AREAS OF STUDY THAT MY GIFTED CHILD CAN EXPLORE?Yes, you can. Success Ladder Academy is focused on your gifted child's success. We are open to ideas for student interests or study areas based on our assessment tools and your input. Specific student-centered goals are far more effective in promoting talent, ability and interest. Our motto is Partners for Parents and Coaches for Kids.
- WILL THIS PROGRAM AFFECT MY CHILD'S SCHOOL PROGRAM?Excellence does not emerge without appropriate programs for gifted children. When students' needs are being met with extracurricular learning opportunities, they will support the regular school program. This will also offer an avenue for advanced development of student potential. Nurturing high performance supports the future prosperity of our nation and advances the success of the gifted child.
- DO THE COMMON CORE STANDARDS ADDRESS GIFTED CHILDREN?Not necessarily. Common Core Standards mandate the content to be mastered at each grade level. They were developed to provide more rigor and in depth learning for all. However, there is no specific provision for gifted students who have already mastered grade level content. SLA can provide an individualized program for students who demonstrate readiness for higher levels of learning.